The Cesar Chavez Learning Center’s MAP program is focused on helping male students complete their educational goals, network and give back to the community. While all male students are welcome to join MAP, some programming is designed to support the cultural and social development of men of color, specifically Black men.
MAP is dedicated to preparing men for success in every aspect of their collegiate journey. Participants can expect to benefit personally and academically due to:
- Being in an environment where students are empowered, supported and celebrated;
- Being exposed to community leaders and job shadow opportunities;
- Receiving information to assist in problem resolution and critical-thinking skills;
- Accessing LCC and community resources;
- Participating in academic enrichment activities;
- Joining in leadership opportunities; and
- Enjoying direct mentorship support.
Men About Progress at Lansing Community College mission is to help minority males complete their educational goals, network and give back to the community.
Student Program Registration Form
Students who want to be considered MAP members are required to complete the Registration Form and participate in programming throughout the school year as follows:
- Attend two MAP meetings each fall and spring semester (Students who are also members of ACCESS, LUCERO and/or WISE only need to attend one MAP meeting each semester);
- Meet with assigned Academic Success Coach once per fall and spring semester;
- Meet with assigned Academic Advisor once per fall and spring semester, unless a multi-semester academic map exists;
- Participate in one community service activity or event hosted by an LCC Registered Student Organization once per academic year; and
- Attend one study table or tutoring opportunity (hosted by Cesar Chavez Learning Center, or by the Library and Learning Commons) per fall and spring semester. See the ODI calendar of events for information on Study Tables. Visit the Learning Commons website for more information on tutoring available to LCC students.
MAP meetings take place twice a month from 4-6 p.m. at the CCLC, located in the Arts & Sciences Building, Room 1313. Program dates for Fall and Spring Semesters of academic year 2023/2024 are below:
ODI programming is free and open to all LCC students. Food and/or snacks will be provided during each meeting. All students are welcome to attend. Registration is not required.
MAP Joint Meetings
MAP Students will be invited to attend joint meetings with students who participate in ACCESS, WISE, and LUCERO. These special meetings will take place at the Cesar Chavez Learning Center throughout the semester.
For additional information, call 517-483-9804 or email CCLC@star.lcc.edu. Otherwise, we hope to see you at our next meeting!
*Graduating MAP students will be celebrated by Office of Diversity & Inclusion (ODI) staff. Students receiving an overall grade point average of 2.0 or higher will qualify to receive a special MAP graduation stole denoting personal achievement and involvement with MAP.
*The same Registration Form can be used to register for all programs offered by the Cesar Chavez Learning Center. Students only need to complete one Registration Form.