Lansing Community College

An appeal is defined as a request to review a previous decision and/or the process used in reaching the decision. The process will depend on the type of appeal involved. In all cases, students are required to state their appeal in writing at the time they begin the appeal process.

The College will promptly review and evaluate complaints and take appropriate actions.

A complaint is any concern that LCC has violated a law or policy or has incorrectly applied an established process.

Complaints or appeals may be academic or non-academic in nature and do not supersede or replace misconduct or grievance procedures already in place.

Prior to submitting a complaint or appeal, students are encouraged to do the following if applicable:

  1. Approach their faculty member, StarZone, any service area located on any campus, or the LCC Ombudsman.
  2. If the complaint cannot be resolved, please contact the Director or Associate Dean of the respective department or area of concern.
  3. If the Director or Associate Dean is unable to resolve the issue, please contact the Academic Dean.

See below for the list of the different types of appeals and complaints. Appeals and complaints that have gone through the entire line of appeal as outlined in their respective procedures are considered final and binding on all parties involved.

Complaints involving matters of a criminal nature should contact LCC Police Department at 517-483-1800, by email at, or in person at the locations listed below:

  • Downtown Campus: 411 N. Grand Ave., Lansing, MI 48933
  • West Campus: 5708 Cornerstone Drive, Lansing, MI 48917
Administrative Appeal

Administrative Appeals can be filed in relation to the following situations:

  • College Error - College personnel or technology did not follow established policy/procedures, which negatively affected the student's choices or outcome.
  • Emergency Situation - An emergency life situation beyond the student's control prevented the student from successfully completing courses. Examples include but are not limited to; medical emergency, mental emergency, and death in the family, etc.*
  • Unexpected Event - An unexpected event prevented the student from taking appropriate action before a deadline. Examples of an unexpected event are combined but not limited; to loss of housing, childcare, employment, etc.
  • Understandable Misinformation - For an understandable reason, the student did not know about or misinterpreted a college policy or procedure and, as a result, took an action that resulted in a negative consequence.
  • Residency Error - All appeals for retroactive awarding of in-district residency status and refund of excess charges. Appeals should be supported with documented evidence, i.e. copies of emails, My Academic Pathways (MAPs), D2L communications, proof of residency. Documentation must be provided by the student.

*Appeals requested for medical or mental health reasons must include information obtained from a healthcare professional. This information must be submitted on the provider's letterhead along with this form, and must include the following:

  • Healthcare professional's Name
  • Contact Information
  • Signature
  • Date of onset and duration of illness
  • Problem/Issue/Diagnosis
  • Date the student was/will be capable of resuming academic studies

Administrative Appeals Form Administrative Appeal Procedure

Student Code of Conduct

To report an alleged violation of the Student Code of Conduct, including but not limited to: disruptive behavior, theft, cheating, violation of college policy, etc.

Make a Report

Financial Aid - Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal

Students whose financial aid has been suspended due to not maintaining satisfactory academic progress.

Financial Aid Forms Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Final Grade Appeal

Appeal your final course grade or learn more about the Final Course Grade Appeal process.

Prior to submit a final grade appeal, please complete the following steps:

  • Step 1: Student are encouraged to approach their faculty member to resolve their complaint.
  • Step 2: If the complaint cannot be resolved by the faculty member, please contact the Program Director.
  • Step 3: If the Program Director is unable to resolve the issue, please contact the Dean.

Final Grade Appeal Form Final Grade Dispute Procedure


Students or employees who believe that discrimination has occurred against themselves or others are urged to report the matter.

Student Discrimination Complaint Form Nondiscrimination Policy

General Student Complaints

To find assistance in resolving matters that are non-academic in nature.

General Student Complaints Form

State Authorization/Distance Education Complaints

Online distance education students must first seek resolution through LCC's Student Appeals & Compliant procedure.

General Student Complaint Form State Authorization

If a complaint cannot be resolved internally after exhausting the General Complaint procedure the Michigan State Portal Entity is designated to review complaints against institutions of higher education providing online distance education. Unable to resolve concerns internally using the General Complaint procedure, or if the Michigan State Portal Entity had not resolved the issue, students may file a complaint with the State Agency in your state.

State of Michigan

If the unresolved complaint is a consumer protection issue, contact the Attorney General.

Attorney General

Educational Record and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Students have the right to request correction or amendment of information on educational records that are inaccurate, misleading or which violate privacy rights. If you believe your educational record is incorrect please contact the Registrar's Office at 517-483-1200 or by email at for guidance.

Records Policy

Students who feel their rights under FERPA have been abridged may file complaints with the Family Policy and Regulations Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20202.