Administrative Appeals must be filed within 1 year from the start of the semester that the situation occurred. For example, if the situation occurred during spring 2020 semester the last day to submit an Administrative Appeal would be January 13th 2021 which is one year from the start of spring 2020 semester.
Please allow up to 45 business days to receive a response from the Registrar's Office. If you have any questions, please call 517-483-1200 and select option 2, or email at email@example.com.
Administrative Appeals can be filed in relation to the following situations:
- College Error - College personnel or technology did not follow established policy/procedures, which negatively affected the student's choices or outcome.
- Emergency Situation - An emergency life situation beyond the student's control prevented the student from successfully completing courses.
- Unexpected Event - An unexpected event or information prevented the student from taking appropriate action before a deadline.
- Understandable Misinformation - For an understandable reason, the student did not know about or misinterpreted a college policy or procedure and, as a result, took an action that resulted in a negative consequence.
- Residency Error - All appeals for retroactive awarding of in-district residency status and refund of excess charges.
Appeals should be supported with documented evidence, i.e. copies of emails, My Academic Pathways (MAPs), D2L communications, proof of residency. Documentation must be provided by the student.
Appeals requested for medical or mental health reasons must include information obtained from a healthcare professional. This information must be submitted on the provider's letterhead along with this form, and must include the following:
- Healthcare professional's Name
- Contact Information
- Date of onset and duration of illness
- Date the student was/will be capable of resuming academic studies
When a student identifies a situation that is eligible for an Administrative Appeal, they student shall submit an appeal in writing.
Students must use the following lines of appeal for Administrative Appeals:
- a. Office of the Registrar
- b. Dean of Student Affairs (or his or her designee)
After review of the appeal, if the Registrar (or his or her designee) determines that there is insufficient justification for an appeal, the appeal will be denied. The decision will be communicated to the student in writing within 20 (twenty) business days of the date the appeal was submitted. The student will have ten (10) business days to appeal the decision of the Registrar. Any appeals received after the tenth business day may be dismissed for "failure to submit appeal for Administrative Appeal on a timely basis".
After review of the appeal, if the Dean of Student Affairs (or his or her designee) determines that there is insufficient justification for an appeal, the appeal will be denied. The Dean of Student Affairs' (or designee's) decision is considered final and will be communicated in writing to the student within 10 (ten) business days of the date the appeal was submitted.