Lansing Community College

There are a multitude of options offered from the government to complete your education. From standard financial aid to the many military benefits programs, our office of Veterans Services can guide you through this process so that your college experience begins seamlessly.

New VA Education Benefits Comparison Tool

Please use the VA Comparison Tool to calculate your VA education benefits. This is a great tool to show you how much you would receive based on your benefit chapter and percentage. Remember to come into our office to fill out all required VA applications and paperwork in order to receive your actual benefits.

Calculate Benefits

Your Education Benefits Options

1. Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB)

The Montgomery G.I. Bill program provides up to 36 months of benefits to eligible individuals who entered military service on or after July 1, 1985, who had their basic military pay reduced by $100.00 per month for the first 12 months of their service and received a discharge specified as "HONORABLE" are eligible.

2. Chapter 31 - Veteran Readiness and Employment Program

A veteran of W.W.II or thereafter who has a service connected disability which entitles him/her to DVA disability compensation and who is in need of vocational rehabilitation because the disability creates an unemployable handicap may be eligible for Chapter 31 benefits.

3. Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

4. Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve

This benefit provides a small monthly stipend to individuals who are currently serving in the National Guard or Reserves and have not completed any active duty service besides initial training time.

5. Transfer of Post 9/11 GI Bill® Benefits to Dependents (TEB)

Service members eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® program are able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children prior to discharging from military service. Post 9/11 GI Bill® Benefits may also be transferred through the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship. The scholarship expands eligibility under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to include children of an active duty service member who dies in the line of duty.

6. Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Spouses and children of a veteran who dies on active duty, dies on active duty as a result of a service connected disability, or has a 100% service connected disability rating through the VA, may be eligible for benefits. Generally, the eligibility period for children is between the ages of 18 and 26 years of age. A spouse may use benefits during a 10-year period after the veteran’s death or 10 years after the VA makes a determination on the veteran’s disability status.

7. Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program (MINGSTAP)

The Michigan National Guard provides this state benefit for its Soldiers and Airmen to utilize while they are currently serving and attending an Institution of Higher Learning. This benefit is paid as a reimbursement to the Guard Member, and will pay up to $14,400 per school year.


8. Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

If you are serving on active duty in any military branch or are an Army National Guard/Reservist, Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) through the Department of Defense may be available to you to utilize while attending an Institution of Higher Learning. FTA will pay up to $4500 per fiscal year, depending on your branch of service. FTA pays tuition costs only, it does not pay for fees associated with attended college.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

LCC Office of Veteran and Military Affairs

an exterior shot of the huron building on a bright sunny day

Huron Building
333 North Washington Square
Lansing, Michigan 48933

Phone: 517-483-5246
Toll Free: 800-644-4522


Hours of Operation

Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Friday: 7:30 am - 4:00 pm

Monday - Friday: 7:30 am - 4:00 pm

Additional Contact

Plan Your Next Move