At Lansing Community College, we understand that studying and working on a campus that reflects and embraces a rich and broad range of human experiences and perspectives is incredibly important. Not only does it enrich the quality and vibrancy of campus life, it increases our capacity to learn and disseminate knowledge and prepares us for engaged citizenship and leadership in an increasingly diverse and global society. The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) advances academic excellence by increasing and advocating for campus diversity and inclusion. ODI undertakes initiatives aimed at the recruitment, retention, and success of underrepresented students, faculty, and staff, by working with academic units, community partners, and national organizations and institutions.
To help our community build and leverage these outcomes, the Office for Diversity and Inclusion is guided by the following vision and mission statements:
We are committed to these primary values:
- Inclusive Excellence
- Education and Collaboration
- Sense of Belonging for Everyone
- Social Justice and Equity
- Respect and Civility
The Office for Diversity and Inclusion will establish itself as a resource for diversity expertise and help LCC become internationally renowned for inclusive excellence. Transforming our campus and higher education by attracting, retaining and leveraging the talents of diverse individuals to facilitate first-rate teaching, learning, scholarship and service in a climate that is welcoming and inclusive is our goal. Led by our Guiding Principles, LCC will prepare those it serves to thrive in a diverse world by reflecting that diversity in its student enrollment, staffing, planning, and allocation of resources.
Lansing Community College will be a national leader and model for inclusion excellence. By ensuring that diversity, in all its forms, is respected, valued and promoted by everyone in an environment of inclusiveness, we will champion diversity in higher education for the 21st century.
In support of its mission, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion will:
- Lead College-wide diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Serve as an educational resource for LCC and the community
- Raise diversity and inclusion awareness through programs and activities and assess the student learning outcomes embedded in those events
- Promote and advocate a collaborative vision of diversity and inclusion
- Continuously assess the College environment including policies, practices and progress
- Expand inclusion by developing outreach strategies in the external community
- Support the faculty in developing academic diversity and inclusion curricula
- Create a diverse workforce that is reflective of our student body and global society
Lansing Community College is on a journey toward Inclusive Excellence - embracing the spectrum of diversity and infusing inclusion into every aspect of campus life. The Office for Diversity and Inclusion supports LCC’s strategic priorities and aspirations for academic excellence by providing diversity expertise, tools, data and programming that inform and shape curricular, scholarship, administrative and outreach activities to: improve teaching and learning outcomes; facilitate mentoring and leadership development; increase the dissemination and application of knowledge; and build and sustain vital community partnerships.
As members of this community, we will:
- Accept Responsibility by striving to build a learning community committed to LCC’s Guiding Principles.
- Celebrate the Uniqueness of Each Individual by respecting individual differences and promoting common interests.
- Embrace Freedom and Openness by working to create an environment that is safe and affirming, one that nurtures independent thinking and the free and open expression of ideas.
- Practice Civility by extending to those we meet the same respect, cooperation and caring that we expect from others.
- Promote Belongingness by working to build a learning environment that inclusive in policies and practices such that everyone is included and has equal opportunity to grow, flourish and contribute.
- Pursue Learning and Scholarship by building on successes, learning from mistakes and pursuing quality in teaching, scholarship and creative endeavors.
- Seek Integrity by aspiring to the highest moral and ethical standards.
- Strive for Excellence by aspiring to achieve our fullest potential in our educational and personal pursuits.
Championing Belonging, Inclusion, and Advocacy
~Elevate Pitch of what we do~
We educate, advocate and create inclusion leaders
Because Inclusiveness is Excellence...therefore Diversity and Inclusion is Everyone’s Responsibility!
Office of Diversity and Inclusion