The mission of the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) is to foster equitable, accessible, and inclusive practices to empower faculty and enhance their teaching effectiveness, resulting in students achieving desired learning outcomes. We value faculty strengths: through a collaborative approach, we provide professional learning opportunities, connecting faculty with innovative technologies and evidence-based instructional practices that supplement their expertise in the classroom.
10 Guiding Principles for the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE):
- Inclusivity First: Embrace diversity and create an accessible, inclusive environment where all faculty members, students, and professionals feel respected and valued, fostering an atmosphere that encourages open dialogue and collaboration.
- Cultivate a Culture of Care: Demonstrate genuine care and empathy in all interactions, actively listening to concerns and feedback, and providing personalized support to address the unique needs of each individual.
- Continuous Growth and Development: Prioritize ongoing professional development, supporting participants in honing their teaching skills and staying updated with the latest pedagogical techniques and technologies.
- Embrace Expertise: Actively seek expertise from internal and external sources, integrating diverse perspectives and transformative instructional practices and technology to enrich the educational experience and stimulate innovation.
- Collaborative Engagement: Through a collaborative approach, we value faculty strengths and expertise, encourage knowledge sharing, facilitate cross-disciplinary partnerships, and provide a supportive network for all.
- Active Communication: Ensure timely and effective communication while providing clear guidelines, resources, and feedback.
- Empowerment and Autonomy: Empower faculty members to exercise ownership of their teaching approach, providing them with the freedom to experiment and innovate while ensuring that they have the necessary resources and support to succeed.
- Data-Driven Improvement: Utilize data and feedback to continuously evaluate the impact of teaching practices on learning outcomes, and improve the effectiveness of instructional methods and strategies.
- Recognize and Celebrate Success: Acknowledge and celebrate faculty members' achievements and contributions to teaching excellence.
- Proactive Problem Solving: Anticipate and address potential challenges, resolving issues promptly and effectively to ensure a seamless and valuable experience for all.
Support, Services, and Resources