Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

I've received a letter stating that I might have violated the
Code of Conduct.

Are there other options if I cannot make an appointment to speak with the Director of Student Compliance?

Yes, students may submit a written statement to be reviewed in lieu of a face-to-face meeting. Students choosing this option will be asked to sign the Method of Communication Agreement that accompanied the letter and send the form, a picture of their photo ID, and the written statement to the Office of Student Compliance via mail, email, or in person in Gannon Building room 133.

What is a written statement?

If you were meeting the Director of Student Compliance in a face-to-face meeting, you would be asked to share your side of the story regarding the alleged violation of the Student Code of Conduct stated in the letter that you received. Your written statement should include everything that you would share during that meeting. Your written statement should be detailed, legible, and include your name and student number.

Can my parent attend my meeting with the Director of Student Compliance?

According to the Student Code of Conduct, parents may only attend meetings with a student "at the discretion of the Dean of Student Affairs (or his/her designee)." This means that in general, no, parents are not permitted to attend meetings with you; however, the Director of Student Compliance may make exceptions on a case by case basis.

I have a hold on my LCC account that is from the
Office of Student Compliance.

I just found out I have a hold on my account. What does this mean?

If this is the first you have seen of our office, it means you probably missed a letter from us. You'll want to check your LCC email and make sure that LCC has your current mailing address. Then, schedule a meeting with our office to discuss the potential violation of the Student Code of Conduct that is listed in the letter. If you need another copy, let us know and we can resend or print out the letter for you.

If you have already seen your letter and met with us and now have a hold on your account, that means that we have moved forward with your case and formally charged you. You were either told in person during your meeting that you were being formally charged, or we sent a letter to your LCC email address to let you know. You've got three options from this point. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions about those options. The hold will be removed from your LCC account if you are found not responsible by a Judicial Board or after your sanctions have been turned in and accepted.

Can you remove the hold on my account temporarily so that I can send my transcripts to another College, University, or employer?

Our office will remove holds only when a case has been closed. This means that if you have not yet scheduled a first meeting, you will need to do so. If the charges against you are dismissed, the hold will be removed. However, if you have been formally charged, the hold will remain until either your Judicial Board finds you not responsible and charges are dismissed or any required sanctions are turned in and accepted.

I have requested a Judicial Board Hearing.

How are Judicial Board Hearings scheduled?

Per the Student Code of Conduct, hearings are scheduled at the convenience of the board members. However, our office makes every effort to schedule hearings within three weeks of the request. We ask that you be mindful of the amount of coordination that it takes to schedule the hearing and exercise patience; we have many hearings to schedule that need to be coordinated with trained board members. Most hearings are scheduled for Friday afternoons. If you are unable to attend your hearing, you may submit a written statement for consideration by the board as well as written statements from your witnesses and character witnesses.

Can I have a lawyer at my hearing?

The Judicial Board Hearing process is an educational, administrative process-not a legal process. Therefore, unless there are concurrent criminal charges and the Dean of Student Affairs (or his/her designee) allows, lawyers/attorneys are not permitted to participate in the hearing. You are permitted to have an advisor. This advisor can support you throughout the hearing, but does not have a speaking role. Your advisor may be a parent, sibling, friend, classmate, etc., but may not be a lawyer or an attorney.

Who will be at the hearing?

All Judicial Boards are composed of one administrator, two faculty members, and two students that have been trained to serve on boards. The hearing will be facilitated by a trained Chair. The Student Compliance Liaison will also attend. In addition to board members and administrative attendees, the responding student and the complainant may each bring an advisor and any relevant witnesses or character witnesses. Occasionally another person from the LCC community will be present for training purposes; you will be notified in advance if there is someone there to observe the hearing.

I've signed an RFAD or been found responsible by
a Judicial Board.

What are sanctions?

Sanctions are the required assignments that either the Director of Student Compliance or the Judicial Board have determined you must complete as a result of being found responsible for a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. The sanctions are intended to be educational so that responsible students are aware of the Student Code of Conduct, contributing to the integrity and community of LCC, and successful in their educational pursuits. Sanctions aim to help students work toward achieving the LCC Essential Learning Outcomes, particularly by gaining:

"Intellectual and practical skills, including

  • Inquiry and analysis
  • Critical and creative thinking
  • Written and oral communication
  • Quantitative literacy
  • Information literacy
  • Teamwork and problem solving

Practiced extensively, across the curriculum, in the context of progressively more challenging problems, projects, and standards of performance. Personal and social responsibility, including

  • Civic knowledge and engagement-local and global
  • Intercultural knowledge and competence
  • Ethical reasoning and action
  • Foundations and skills for lifelong learning

Anchored through active involvement with diverse communities and real-world challenges."

Will I have to pay anything?

Sometimes students that are found responsible for theft or property damage will be asked for restitution in the amount of the property or repair costs as a sanction. Students are not sanctioned to pay fines for other violations. The process is meant to be educational, not financial.

How long does it take for sanctions to be reviewed?

We review sanctions in the order that we receive them and send an update to your LCC email address usually within a few days. The email will either tell you that your sanctions have been accepted and your case is closed, or it will outline any revisions necessary or outstanding sanction requirements.

How long does it take for the hold to be removed from my account after my sanctions have been approved?

If you have received the notification to your LCC email address that we have accepted your sanctions and your case is closed, then the hold has already been removed from your account.

I have another question about the Student Code
of Conduct process.

The Student Code of Conduct refers to the Dean of Student Affairs (or his/her designee). Who is the designee?

In most cases, the Dean's designee is the Director of Student Compliance, Christine Thompson. However, in some lower-level conduct cases, it may be the Student Compliance Liaison.

Will other schools or jobs that I apply for know about my violation of the Student Code of Conduct if I am found responsible or accept responsibility?

You will have a disciplinary record with the College. While this does not show up on your transcript, some government and military employment opportunities require a background check that includes disciplinary records prior to hiring. Colleges or Universities that you plan to transfer to may also ask for this information. You will need to answer all application questions honestly and our office will provide information to the institution only if you have signed the appropriate release form.

I would like to submit a report about a student's behavior.

Where do I submit a report about a student that has violated the Student Code of Conduct?

Submit an Incident Report

Where do I submit a report to the Behavior Intervention Team about a student of concern?

Submit a BIT Report

How do I submit a report about a potential Title IX violation?

Submit a Title IX Report

Student Affairs Division

Student Affairs Division
Gannon Building
2nd Floor - StarZone
Phone: (517) 483-1200
Additional contact information »

Facebook Twitter YouTube