Deaf Awareness Week
- September 23-30
- Who: Everyone!
- What: The International Week of the Deaf is commemorated every September. This celebration is a global movement to raise awareness about the life, culture, language and rights of deaf people. “With Sign Language, Everyone is Included!” is this year's theme. In harmony with that, Lansing Community College has planned activities to raise awareness-including Survival Signs workshops.
Survival Signs I
- 1. A brief explanation will be given of why it's important to use sign language when communicating with the Deaf
- 2. Teach American Sign Language (ASL) alphabet
- 3. Teach common courtesy signs such as: My name is..., please, thank you, excuse me
Survival Signs II
- 1. Review of ASL alphabet and signs learned in Survival Signs I class.
- 2. Signs taught will build on to what was learned in Survival Signs I