On Dec. 20, 2017, the Michigan Supreme Court ruled that Public Act 75 of 2010, which was in effect from July 2010 to September 2012 and mandated members contribute 3 percent of their compensation to the Retiree Healthcare Fund, was unconstitutional and the member contributions shall be refunded.
To be eligible, members must have worked for LCC at some point between July 2010 and September 2012 and participated in the Retiree Healthcare Fund. If you did not work for LCC during this time or did not participate in the Retiree Healthcare Fund, a refund will not be issued.
What we know NOW:
- The Office of Retirement Services (ORS) will send the cash and distribution list to LCC around Jan. 22.
- Payroll will prepare a new earn code for the Health Care Contribution (HCC) refund and test the payroll system during February 2018.
- The HCC 3 percent refund will be subject to federal, state and city taxes. FICA was withheld on all wages/contributions at the original time of collection and will not be withheld.
- The ORS is sending an email to each member who is due a refund on or before Jan. 22. This email will tell you the amount you contributed, the amount of accrued interest, and the total amount of your refund for each of the school districts you worked in during that period
Former employees ONLY:
- LCC plans to distribute your refund no later than the April 13 pay date.
- A notice will be mailed to the last known address on file, requesting updated contact information. Please complete the address update, direct deposit form and W-4 tax forms that will be included with the notice and return to the Payroll Department as soon as possible, but no later than March 16.
- Completed/updated forms can be mailed, faxed or personally dropped off to the Payroll
Department. Documents must be received by March 16.
Lansing Community College
Payroll - 7000
309 N. Washington Sq., Suite 203
Lansing, MI 48933
Please do not email your W-4 tax forms. Email is not a safe and secure way to transmit documents that contain social security numbers.
For more information, please see the ORS’ frequently asked questions document.
About Lansing Community College
Lansing Community College, founded in 1957, is one of the largest community colleges in Michigan, serving more than 23,000 students across a six-county area each year. LCC offers courses in general education for those interested in transferring to a four-year institution, career and workforce development, developmental education and personal enrichment. To meet the professional development and training needs of regional employees, the college offers customized programs for credit, non-credit and continuing education. The University Center at LCC offers students the opportunity to earn bachelor’s and master’s degrees from five partner universities on the downtown LCC campus. For more information, visit lcc.edu.
Lansing Community College is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and equal education for all persons regardless of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, creed, ancestry, height, weight, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, familial status, marital status, military status, veteran’s status, or other status as protected by law, or genetic information that is unrelated to the person’s ability to perform the duties of a particular job or position or that is unrelated to the person’s ability to participate in educational programs, courses, services or activities offered by the college.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: Equal Opportunity Officer, Washington Court Place, 309 N. Washington Square Lansing, MI 48933, 517-483-1730; Employee Coordinator 504/ADA, Administration Building, 610 N. Capitol Ave. Lansing, MI 48933, 517-483-1875; Student Coordinator 504/ADA, Gannon Building, 411 N. Grand Ave. Lansing, MI 48933, 517-483-1885; Lori Willett, Human Resource Manager/Title IX Coordinator, Administration Building, 610 N. Capitol Ave. Lansing, MI 48933, 517-483-1870; Christine Thompson, Student Title IX Coordinator, Gannon Building, 411 N. Grand Ave. Lansing, MI 48933, 517-483-1261.