We're renovating the Technology and Learning Center (TLC) building to make it easy for students to get academic support services including tutoring, research help, technology help, and writing assistance.
Find out you what you need to know during the renovation, as well as about services available after the renovation.
Timeline | Getting Around | Borrowing | Study Space | Using Computers | Printing, Copying, Faxing | Library Instruction | Research Help | eLearning | Center for Teaching Excellence | Classrooms | Meditation Room
Construction has begun and will continue until Summer 2020. The 1st and 2nd floor of the TLC will be under construction from March until August. The new space will open Fall 2020. For updates to the timeline, see the Twitter feed on the right of this page.
March 7 to March 15 (Spring Break)
- The Library and Computer Lab will be closed.
March 16 to August
- The entrance to the TLC building on Shiawassee and Capitol will be closed. The Capitol Avenue sidewalk is closed. Access to the TLC building will be available from the East entrance by the Arts and Sciences building or the West entrance by Capitol Avenue. Please view the TLC building map for a visual representation.
- The Library and Computer Lab will be on the 3rd floor. Staff offices will be on the 4th floor.
- Students can access the basement, 1st floor (eLearning) and 3rd floor. In addition, staff can access the 4th floor.
- To use the elevator, use your StarCard or the StarCard located in the elevator. Call the Checkout Desk at (517) 483-1626 if you need assistance.
- Please follow all construction and directional signage. As a reminder, the eight ADA parking spaces located next to the TLC Building, off Shiawassee Street, are unavailable during the remainder of construction. Instead, additional ADA parking spaces have been added to lots E27 and E28.
You can check out books, textbooks, and technology at the Checkout Desk on the 3rd floor in the Library. The drop box will be closed during the renovation. Please returns all items to the Checkout Desk.
Study space is available on the 3rd floor in the Library. You can borrow noise cancelling headphones or free earbuds from the Checkout Desk. Study rooms will not be available until the renovated space opens in August.
After spring break, the Computer Lab will be located on the 3rd floor of TLC in Room 321. The lab has PCs, Macs and an Art Cad machine. Computers are also available in the West Campus Computer Lab.
Laptops will be available at the Checkout Desk on the 3rd floor in the Library for 2 hours or 28 days.
Printers, copiers, and a fax machine are available on the 3rd floor in the Library.
During spring 2020, library instruction sessions will be held in faculty classrooms or in the temporary library classroom located in A&S 2315, available from February 10 to April 24. Faculty can book a library instruction session online.
Research help is available at the Reference Desk. You can also get research help by phone, email, appointment or chat 24/7.
eLearning, located in 123 TLC, will remain open while the 1st floor is under construction.
The Center for Teaching Excellence, located in 324 TLC, will remain open while the 1st floor and 2nd floor are under construction.
Classrooms on the 1st and 2nd floor will not be available spring semester 2020.
The Meditation room will no longer be located in the Library. A permanent meditation room will open in the Gannon Building at a future date.
By Fall 2020, the following services will be available in the renovated space in the TLC Building:
- Help Zone
- Learning Commons tutors
- Writing Studio
- Research help
- Study space and group study rooms
- Open computer lab
- New tech space
- Center for Teaching Excellence