Skip to content

Veterans Information

The Veteran and Military Affairs Office is designed to serve the needs of veterans who qualify for education benefits. The staff helps veterans or veteran-related students file applications for educational benefits, counseling, loans, tutorial assistance, and/or any other entitlements allowed through the Veterans Administration. Lansing Community College is approved as a school for veterans of military service under provisions of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill), 35, 1606 and of the U.S. Code.

Students must complete, sign and submit an Enrollment Intent Form to the Veteran and Military Affairs Office each semester that they plan to attend. The Enrollment Intent Form is available at the Veteran and Military Affairs Office. The average processing time from the point of applying for educational benefits to the receipt of monetary funds is 30 to 90 days.

Lansing Community College cautions students applying for educational benefits to be prepared to pay their tuition and fees by the payment due date of each semester, unless a payment plan is set up with LCC. Each student utilizing VA benefits is eligible to sign up for the Deferred Payment Plan. The payment due dates are published each semester on and in the Semester Course Schedule. Once the student's benefit certification is processed through the VA, payments will be made to the student and/or the school depending on what benefit the student is utilizing. If payments are not received within 30-90 days after certification, the student should contact the Veteran and Military Affairs office at LCC.

Advance Payment

Students who are eligible for veterans' educational benefits may be eligible for advance payment. Advance payment is a pro-rated amount for the first month of attendance of the semester and a full payment for the second month. Advance payment checks are normally issued prior to the beginning of the semester for which they are being requested. The check is delivered to the Veteran and Military Affairs Office. Veterans are notified by mail upon receipt of the check. Advance payment should be requested at least five (5) weeks prior to the beginning of a semester.

Advance payment cannot be requested if the student is continuously enrolled or enrolled less than half time.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) may not be eligible for advance payment.

Educational benefit payments provided for by the G.I. Bill vary according to the chapter and the enrollment status at which the veteran is pursuing an academic program as indicated by the following schedule:


Full time                              12
Three-quarter time             9-11.99
Half time                             6.1-8.99
One-quarter time                6 or less - Tuition and fees reimbursement only, no BAH stipend

Full time                              6
Three-quarter time             4.1-5.99
Half time                             3.1-4
One-quarter time                6 or less - Tuition and fees reimbursement only, no BAH stipend

After enrollment, veterans should direct their inquiries concerning eligibility to the LCC Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.

The College participates in the, Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program, GoArmyEd Program, Air Force ROTC Program (Through Michigan State University), and the Army ROTC Program (Through Michigan State Univeristy, and.

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Veterans Educational Benefits Recipients

A student receiving educational benefits is required by the Veterans Administration to maintain regular class attendance and satisfactory academic progress (SAP). In compliance with Veterans Administration statutory requirements of sub-paragraph 56, section 1775/1776 of chapter 36, Title 38 U.S. Code, Lansing Community College veteran educational benefits recipients will not be certified as eligible for benefits when their cumulative grade point average places them in the academic probation/suspension range for 2 consecutive semesters. If a student falls into this category they will be required to meet with an Academic Success Coach, a LCC Personal Counselor (located in Veteran Services), and possibly the Veteran Academic Advisor in order to find the correct pathway to success. If this process is completed, the student’s VA benefits will be certified for the current semester, and the student progression will be tracked until they are shown in Good Academic Standing at LCC.

Certification Policy for Veterans Educational Benefit Recipients

Students must be following a chosen curriculum. Lansing Community College will notify the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs if a student receiving veteran educational benefits is awarded a grade of “0”, "I" or "W" for course work pursued each semester. For “W” grades, the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs will use the Last Date of Attendance submitted by the course instructor. The Veteran and Military Affairs Office is also required to report all "I" (incomplete) grades to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. The Veteran and Military Affairs Office uses the last day of the semester in which the "I" grade is earned as the last date of attendance. Once the course that the "I" grade was earned in has been completed, the grade change is reported by the Veteran and Military Affairs Office.

It is the student's responsibility to notify the Veteran and Military Affairs Office of all enrollment changes (drops and adds) including the non-attendance of any or all courses. Students who wish to appeal this determination must provide documentation of attendance. Documentation may include a statement signed by the instructor verifying course attendance, deployment orders, and a signed statement by the student, indicating the last date of attendance, medical statements or any other corresponding documentation.

Credit for Prior Training and Experience

Students who receive veteran educational benefits must have prior educational training and experience evaluated by the end of the second semester of attendance. The evaluation will include training and experience received while the student was on active duty and for course(s) taken at an approved educational institution even if the training/course(s) were not paid by the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs. This includes submitting Military Joint Service Transcripts in order to receive credit for military training and experience. This process can take up to 8 weeks. Transcripts can be submitted by going to the following link:

Students who fail to submit official academic transcripts for credits earned at colleges other than Lansing Community College and for active duty military service will not have their enrollment certified beyond their second semester of attendance.

For more information, please visit the Lansing Community College Veteran and Military Affairs website at

Revised 9/27/17


Catalog Information at Lansing Community College

Student Affairs Division
Gannon Building - StarZone
Phone: 517-483-1162
Additional contact information »

Facebook Twitter YouTube