DEADLINE: Wednesday, December 1
Submit your entry (or entries) in the form below.
- The LAND Writing Contest is open to any student enrolled in a credit class at a public Michigan two-year college during 2021.
- The LCC Writing Contest is preliminary to the LAND Contest and is open to students who are or were registered for LCC classes in 2021 (spring, summer or fall semesters).
- LCC may submit two entries per category to the statewide competition.
Procedures and Stipulations for the LCC Phase of the Contest
The deadline for all submissions to the Lansing Community College phase of the LAND writing contest is Wednesday, December 1, 2021. An individual LCC student may submit up to two poems, two stories and two essays.
- Prepare your entry exactly as described on this page. The entry itself must not identify your school and will identify you only by your student number.
- Submit your entry via the online application at the bottom of this page.
- If you submit more than one entry, follow the instructions for each entry.
- Incomplete or improperly submitted entries will be rejected.
- Independent judges who are LCC faculty will judge entries. The top two entries in each category will be forwarded to the statewide LAND contest. The LCC portion of the contest will be judged by the same criteria as the statewide LAND contest.
- The student retains the copyright to the fiction, poem, or creative nonfiction submitted to the LAND writing competition. However, the student grants LAND the right to reproduce any submission on its website or any other LAND publication regardless of medium of publication.
Prizes and Recognition
- A first prize of $100, a second prize of $75, and a third prize of $25 will be awarded for each category.
- Short fiction and essays must be fewer than 2,000 words in length; poems must be 50 lines or less.
- No previously published work may be submitted.
- Work must be original. Any borrowed ideas or language must be appropriately acknowledged.
- Authors must be willing to have their work published under their own names. No anonymous or pseudonymous work will be accepted.
- Neither the author’s name nor the name of the author’s college should appear anywhere on any entry.
- Entries will be identified by the author’s student number, which should appear in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- All entries must be titled and paginated.
- Fiction and Essay entries must have title pages that include the story or essay title and the author’s student number but not the author’s name or college name.
- Poems do not need title pages, but they do need titles.
- All entries must have one-inch margins and page numbers.
- Essays must be double-spaced. Stories must be double-spaced unless alternate formatting is an integral part of the story’s aesthetic effect. Poems may be spaced and arranged according to the poet’s intent.
- All entries must be submitted in MS Word, or PDF format. When format is an integral part of the work’s aesthetic effect, a scanned image converted to a PDF document is acceptable.
LCC Contest Contacts
Faculty Contact: Rosalie Petrouske, (517) 267-5848
Divisional Contact: Adrienne Jenkins, (517) 483-1550
The 37th Annual LAND Conference will take place online via ZOOM, February 16-18, 2022.