Compose your start, your future and your career with the Music Program at Lansing Community College. Music majors choose the curriculum that best suits their own passions and professional goals.
LCC music majors benefit from small class sizes with leading faculty-artists, one-to-one private lessons in all band and orchestral instruments, voice, keyboard, guitar and percussion, access to state-of-the-art technologies in LCC's electronic music and sound recording studios, and exciting performance opportunities in a season of more than 20 concerts and recitals!
- Music GA:
- This degree is designed for students wishing to work in any Music-related field. The degree includes a common set of courses applicable to all Music majors. Students beginning their college study in this degree program are encouraged to work with academic and program advisors throughout their first few semesters of study to determine their specific major area and transfer destination (if transfer is a goal).
- Music Education/Pre-music Therapy:
- The purpose of this major is to prepare students to enter a Bachelor’s in Music Education program, leading to K-12 certification to teach music in Michigan schools or to enter the Music Therapy programs at Eastern Michigan University or Western Michigan University. The degree is customizable for transfer by destination school, degree type, and instrument. It includes four semesters of Applied Lessons, Music Ensembles, and Studio class, as well as a robust Music Theory and Aural Skills curriculum.
- Music Industry:
- The purpose of this major is to prepare students to work in the field of Music Industry on completion of the Associate degree. This ever-evolving field, commercial music, offers opportunities in Popular Music Performance, Composition and Arrangement, Music Production, and Music Business. Additionally, upon graduation students will be prepared to teach music either independently or through training centers. This degree also offers students the option to transfer to Ferris State University to complete their Bachelor’s Degree in Music Industry.
- Music Transfer:
- This degree focuses on getting the music student ready to transfer to a four year institution in classical performance, music education, jazz studies, theory/composition, music therapy, and sacred music.
- Music Enhanced:
- This degree is designed for students who wish to transfer to a four-year college or university to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in this area, either through a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in music or a Bachelor of Music degree. Students who complete this degree will also satisfy the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) between two-year and four-year institutions in Michigan and will also qualify for an LCC Transfer Studies Certificate of Achievement (1482). See a Program or Academic Advisor for details.
- Musicianship Studies:
- This Certificate of Completion is geared towards the student wanting to build their basic musicianship skills, without committing to the General Education requirements of an Associates Degree. It features two semesters of Lessons, Ensembles, and Studio Class, as well as some Music Theory and Aural Skills training. Any student completing an Associate of Music will also meet the requirements for this Certificate.
- Music Technology:
- This Certificate of Completion is geared towards the student interested in Music Technology and Production. It features several classes in audio engineering, as well as a Business of Music class.