Presented by LCC Radio 89.7 and Gier Community Center
TIME & DATE:
Saturday, January 28, 2017
Doors open for registration at 1pm - races start at 2pm
Gier Community Center, 2400 Hall Street, Lansing, MI, 517-483-4313.
More about Gier Community Center
$5 per sled
(Proceeds benefit Gier Community Center Youth Fund & Your Community Radio Station, 89.7FM)
Here's How it Works:
- Build a sled made of cardboard
- Hold it together with duct tape and/or glue
- Throw some paint on it to make it look pretty
- Race it down the hill and hope it stays together
You can save a little time at registration by submitting
your sled information below. Please provide one entry
per each race you would like to enter. Then stop by the
registration table with your entry fee(s) the day of the
Cardboard Classic and let us know we already have your info.
Last day to register online: Friday, January 27, 12pm (noon)
You can still register in person at Gier Park the day of the Cardboard Classic.
* Required Fields
Rules & Regulations:
- It is not required, but all sled racers are encouraged to wear helmets
- Sled construction should consist primarily of cardboard, glue, and/or duct tape
- The bottom of sled should consist of only cardboard, glue, duct tape, and paint or whatever is used to color the sled - no Styrofoam, plastic, or any other type of material should be used
- Additional soft material items may be used to enhance to the aesthetics of the sled (ie. cellophane, yarn, limited amounts of sheets/fabric) but majority of the sled must consist of cardboard material
- Hard items that could be dangerous to you or other event participants should not be used The following items absolutely CAN NOT be used : wood, glass, metal, plastics, and foil
- You can enter a sled in more than one race -- it is $5 per race entered
- More than one racer can ride a sled during a race; provided the sled can safely carry all racers
- Racers are allowed to receive a "push off" at the top of the hill
- LCC Radio and Gier Community Center may amend these rules and regulations as needed
What's the Cardboard Classic?
Each year WLNZ sponsors the Cardboard Classic event held at Gier Community Center. Contestants enter sleds made entirely of cardboard, paper, tape and glue, with designs only limited by the designer's imagination. Previous years' entries have included sleds designed as Viking ships, tanks, airplanes and even a plate with bacon and eggs.
All of the sleds are raced down the hill outside Gier Community Center, with each sled competing against the clock. The sleds are also judged on design, and awards are given out in the various categories.