Fall Semester begins August 25: Tips on Finding a Place to Park
LANSING – Fall semester at Lansing Community College
(LCC) begins August 25 and students are advised to come to Main Campus early
to find parking spaces. Increased enrollment over the past five years has
swelled the number of drivers seeking parking spaces on or near campus. The
temporary closing of the city-owned North Capitol Ramp, used by some 200 LCC
students each day, could make the situation more frustrating – at least at
the beginning of the semester. City officials have told the College that the
ramp will reopen sometime around Labor Day.
In the meantime, the College has worked out an arrangement with the Lansing Entertainment and Public Facilities Authority (LEPFA) to use the City Market parking lot through the end of September. It is located at 325 City Market Drive, just off of N. Cedar Street and south of Shiawassee Street. Offering 210 spaces, students will be able to park there at no cost. The City Market parking lot is not available September 12 and 13, but North Capitol Ramp is expected to be open by then.
Tips on finding a parking spot:
· Go to www.lcc.edu/parking for information about parking, including traffic advisories.
· Arrive 30 minutes before class begins.
· The Gannon Ramp fills up fast and causes traffic congestion on Grand Avenue. Students may want to avoid the Ramp and find surface parking.
· If the Ramp is full, and the line of cars on Grand is not moving, LCC police will give waiting drivers a handout showing alternative parking options. The police will not allow the parking line to queue past the north side of Circle Drive.
· For those with smart phones (Android and iPhone), an app (application) can tell you exactly where to find the best parking on campus. To download Presenting Parker by Streetline, go to www.streetlinenetworks.com/parker.
· Listen for parking information and traffic updates on LCC radio 89.7 FM.
· Watch for updates on our Twitter page – www.twitter.com/LCCStudentServ.
· “Like” the Lansing Community College Facebook page for more updates.
· Consider carpooling using the CATA Clean Commute Option or using the CATA Bus service.
· Remember – the College is now charging parking fees between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. in the Gannon Ramp and on surface lots.
· Keep some quarters in your car in case you are running late and must park at a city metered parking spot.
Other things to keep in mind at the beginning of the semester:
· Be cautious as you navigate Main Campus especially Washington Mall between Shiawassee and Saginaw Street. The Board of Water and Light is completing infrastructure upgrades to the water and steam distribution system. The project is expected to be completed by the third week of September.
If you need assistance finding a location on Main Campus or have general questions, go to Student Services in the Gannon Building. Extra LCC Police Cadets will also be on foot patrol to assist students.