Link to an Article on a Discussion Board
Find out how to add a link to an article from a research database on a
discussion board in Desire2Learn.
Important Note About D2L: Article links must open outside of
D2L. Select "Open as an External Resource" when creating links.
Step 1: Find the Right URL
Instead of using the URL from the web browser, find the persistent URL (PURL)
provided by the database.
Below are instructions for finding PURLs in some popular databases:
- Academic or General OneFile (Gale) - Click
on Bookmark this Document in the Tools box to the right of the
article and copy
- ProQuest Central - Copy the Document URL
below the article.
- Issues and Controversies (Facts on File) -
Copy the Record URL below the article.
- CINAHL (Ebscohost) - Click on Permalink in
the Tools box to the right of the article and copy the URL.
Step 2: Create Links that Work Off-campus
Use the box below to add the proxy prefix so the link will work off-campus by
asking you to log in with a TUID and password.
Proxy Prefix: https://lcc.idm.oclc.org/login?url=
Step 3: Add the Link to a Discussion Board in D2L
Take the link generated above and add it to Desire2Learn.
- Log in to Desire2Learn.
- Click on Communication and then Discussions in the bar across the top of the screen.
- Click on the title of the Topic you want to post a link to.
- Either Start a New Thread or click on the title of an Existing Thread
to reply to it
- Enter a Subject in the title box.
- Type the title of the article you found in the text box. Highlight the title and click Insert Quicklink.
- Click on URL.
- Select http:// and
paste the article URL in the URL box.
- Type the article title in the Title box.
- Select New Window in the Target box.
- Click on Insert
- Click Post to add your post to the discussion board.
Help with D2L