Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

What forms do I need to submit?

  • Please access your account to review what unsatisfied requirements may be required.
  • If you need to make adjustments to your current aid awards, please go to and select the Aid Alteration Worksheet.
  • If you are Submitting a GPA/Completion Ratio, Maximum Timeframe, Loss of Income, Cost of Attendance Appeal and/or Dependency Status appeal please go to and then select the appropriate form.

Why do I need to submit these forms?

  • If you were selected for Verification by the Federal Government: the financial aid office is required to ensure consistency with the information provided and to resolve inconsistencies with the FAFSA and the information presented through verification.
  • Appeals:
    • GPA/Completion Ratio Appeal: The Federal Government requires that you must have a 2.0 GPA and a 70% completion ratio. If one or both of these are below the Federal level your financial aid will be suspended.
    • Maximum Timeframe Appeal: The Federal Government requires obtaining a degree or certificate within 150% of the credits required for the Degree or Certificate. Please see our Policies Page for more information.
    • Loss of Income Appeal: If a significant decrease of income has occurred from the previous year, you may submit a loss of income appeal to change your Financial Aid Award Package.
    • Cost of Attendance Appeal: A Cost of Attendance is provided each year for a student, which takes into consideration Tuition & Fees, Books & Supplies, Room & Board, Transportation, and Personal & Miscellaneous expenditures. In the event an item may be more than what our office has budgeted, you may request an increase for that item (with appropriate documentation) along with a potential increase of aid to cover the cost.
    • Dependency Status Appeal: Please See the Dependency Appeal, if the mitigating circumstances apply to you please follow the rest of the directions on the appeal. If you do not fall under those circumstances then you must provide parent information.

When do I need to submit these forms?

  • Each Semester has a priority date, to ensure that you have Financial Aid ready for the beginning of the semester. Please refer to Financial Aid Priority Dates.

I’ve heard about the Census Date. What is it and how does it affect my Financial aid?

  • Census Date is a policy enforced by the Federal Government. The amount of your Federal Pell Grant  a certain date in the semester your credits for Federal Pell Grant will lock and will adjust down, but will not adjust back up. Please see to find the Census Date for the semester.

Why am I suspended? What steps do I take?

  • Please refer to “What Forms do I need to submit?: Appeals”

When Do I receive Funds?

  • Federal Pell Grant/Other Grants: Funds will disburse all at once on the first disbursement date.
  • Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans: Disbursements are split into two payments. The first disbursement occurs four weeks into the semester, whereas the second disbursement occurs at the midpoint. For First Time Borrowers, the first disbursement will occur one week after the regular disbursement date.
  • Students who are eligible for Financial Aid can receive a book advance which starts to refund a week before classes start until the end of the 50% refund date. The first disbursement will refund the third week of the semester unless you are a freshman first time borrower; it then refunds the fourth week of the semester.

How is financial aid applied?

  • When a student registers for courses, the Financial Aid Office will determine the eligible award based on the number of eligible credits. Aid is not applied until after the semester has begun. Students should sign up for the FACTs payment plan to prevent classes from being dropped due to delayed financial aid payments.

How many times will Financial Aid pay for my Classes?

  • Students may receive aid for a repeated course until the second attempt after earning credit. For example: a student attempts Math 112. The first attempt, he receives a 0.0. The second attempt, he receives 0.0. The third attempt, he receives 1.5. Financial Aid will only apply to this class one more time because the student has earned credit.

What if my program is Ineligible?

  • Program of study eligibility is determined through a review process by the Department of Education. Some programs may be ineligible due to the number of credits or length of program.

Why is my book advance less than $600?

  • If your book advance is less than $600, it’s because your federal aid is not more than $600 over the tuition and fees. Example: If your tuition and fees are $1,500 and your financial aid is only $1,700, you would receive a $200 book advance, with no additional refund. If your tuition and fees are $1,500 and your financial aid is $2,500, you would receive a $600 book advance, with the remainder as a refund. If your aid package increased prior to receiving your full book advance, any additional payment(s) will be made up to the full $600.

What do I do if I’m failing a class?

  • There are many options to help you get back on track. Most importantly, talk to your instructor. He/She may be able to provide you the tools needed to be successful. You may also seek class mates for assistance. Other options you may seek are academic advising or tutoring services. Please consider these avenues before dropping a class. If you drop or fail a course, it may affect your financial aid eligibility. Please see our polices page for further information.

What if I'm getting aid at another institution (Transfer in/Transfer out)?

  • Transfer in from another school: You will need to cancel any financial aid at the other institution. Even if you are not attending another institution, there cannot be any pending aid from another institution.
  • Transfer out to another school: If you plan on leaving Lansing Community College, you will need to cancel any unpaid aid. To do this, visit our Forms page, select Financial Aid Alteration Worksheet, and select Cancel Existing Aid.

I have to submit taxes. What do I need to provide and why?

  • The FAFSA you submitted was selected for a process called verification. In some cases, income and tax related information will need to be verified to ensure consistency with the information provided on the FAFSA. You and/or your parent(s) may satisfy this requirement by requesting a federal tax return transcript from the IRS, or by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool through the FAFSA.
    • What if my parent(s) and/or I didn’t have any income?
      If you did not receive income for the year, you may submit an Earned Income verification form. On the form, you can check the box indicating no income was received for the year.
    • My parent(s) and/or I receive Social Security benefits. Are taxes required for this?
      In most cases, no. You may check with a tax preparer to determine if the amount of benefits is taxable. Also, Social Security disability benefits are not to be counted as untaxed income on the FAFSA.

How much Pell can I get?

  • The FAFSA helps determine grant eligibility based on several factors including (but not limited to) household size, number of household members in college, household income, taxes paid, child support paid or received, nutritional assistance programs, etc. The resulting number is called an Expected Family Contribution (EFC). This EFC is used to determine an amount of Federal Pell Grant a student can receive. For more information, please see for more information

Why am I not eligible for Pell?

  • Several reasons can determine a student ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant. In most cases, a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is too high. In other cases, a student may have reached the maximum allowable Pell Grant amount, which is limited to the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters of receiving Pell Grant, or a student has earned a Bachelor’s Degree. If none of these situations exist, the student may also be suspended from financial aid eligibility based on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Please see our Policies page to learn more about EFC and SAP.

How do I report a Loss of Income (Unemployment, Divorce, etc.)?

  • If a loss of income has occurred in the household, you (and/or parents) will need to submit a Loss of Income Appeal along with documentation to reduce Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and increase any offered awards. Federal Pell Grant and other aid may also be awarded as a result of an approved Loss of Income Appeal. No FAFSA update is necessary.

I’m a Parent, why can’t I access my son or daughter’s account?

  • The Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects students’ information disclosure to anyone other than the student. In the event a parent needs access to a son/daughter’s account, the Financial Aid Office requires the student to sign a Release of Information form in the StarZone. The Release of Information form allows Financial Aid, Registrar, Academic Advising, and/or Student Finance to discuss the student’s account to only the individuals specified on the Release of Information form. State or other government ID is required when submitting the form.

I can’t get my parents information, what do I do?

  • If your parent(s) cannot provide information on the FAFSA, you may still qualify for financial assistance. Complete the FAFSA with your information. When the FAFSA is received, you may submit a Federal Unsubsidized Loan Only Appeal to request an Unsubsidized Loan in lieu of other aid. In the event your relationship with your parent(s) is dissolved, or contact with your parent(s) has been terminated or diminished due to extenuating circumstances, you may submit a dependency appeal with required documentation. The appeal process may take up to four (4) weeks to determine. If a change of status is approved, the Financial Aid Office will consider the student as an independent, therefore not requiring parent information.

I’m ineligible for Federal Loans, where can I get extra help?

  • Loans from alternative sources other than the Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized may be requested through an outside lender such as Sallie Mae, Wells Fargo, or through your personal bank or credit union. For more information about alternative loans, visit our Loans page and select “Alternative/Private Loan.”

How many Credits do I need to get Financial Aid?

  • Minimum requirements may vary depending on the aid program, such as grants, loans, and certain scholarships. Please refer to our policies page to find out how enrollment affects eligibility.

Do I need to fill out the FACTs Payment Plan?

  • For all students who are not paying their tuition up-front, in full, a payment plan is required. Although financial aid will be applied to outstanding tuition, it does not actually apply until after the semester has begun. When a student has registered for classes, the Student Finance Department requires payment by a specific date. If payment has not been received by that date, the courses will be dropped for non-payment. For those receiving financial aid, a FACTs Pending Aid Payment Plan is available to defer the payment date until after financial aid has been applied. If you have questions, please watch this video on How to Set Up a FACTs Payment Plan, or contact Student Finance.

What do these Financial Aid Terms/Acronyms mean?

Financial Aid at Lansing Community College

Financial Aid Office
Gannon Building
2nd Floor - StarZone
Phone: (517) 483-1200
Additional contact information »

Facebook Twitter YouTube Flickr

Office Hours
Monday - Thursday: 8am – 6pm
Friday: 8am – 4pm

School Code: 002278