It may be possible to put out a small fire using a portable fire extinguisher. Follow these guidelines when using a fire extinguisher.
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull station.
- Do not take unnecessary risks or put yourself in danger.
- Stay 6 to 8 feet away from the fire.
- Use the PASS process to deploy the fire extinguisher:
- Pull the pin.
- Aim at the base of the flame.
- Squeeze the lever.
- Sweep the extinguisher slowly back and forth.
- If the fire is not put out by the extinguisher, leave the area immediately.
- Contact LCC Police immediately (dial 911 from a college phone or (517) 483-1800 from a non-college phone) upon reaching an area of safety.
Emergency Management and Safety Services
Gannon Bldg, Room 220
Phone: (517) 483-1572
Additional contact information »