Michigan Future Foundation announces Scholarship Dollars to Benefit Students interested in Insurance Education
Get a head start in an exciting career with the insurance industry! Michigan Future Foundation has created ten $5,000 educational scholarships for incoming students, totaling $50,000 in support of insurance education in Lansing. The purpose of the scholarship is to promote insurance as a career choice for young people or those considering a career change, and to prepare individuals for independent insurance agency related careers within Michigan. Candidates must enroll in requisite insurance classes at both Lansing Community College and Davenport University by January 7, 2013. More on the Michigan Future Foundation
Lansing Community College, Davenport University, and MI Future Foundation is committed to expanding the independent insurance agency system within Michigan by providing Educational Scholarships leading to graduates of a Davenport University Risk Management Specialty enhanced by industry-specific training through the Lansing Community College Business & Community Institute. The collaboration brings together the expertise of both academia and industry resulting in graduates equipped with both academic and certificate accomplishment and industry preferred career readiness.
Application for MI Future Foundation Scholarship:
Management majors with an interest in insurance from DU and LCC are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. There will be a limit of ten awards per MI Future fiscal year (September 2012 to August 2013). Members of the MI Future Board will participate with LCC staff in the selection process.
Requested application documentation:
To be considered as a recipient of this Michigan Future Foundation (MFF) Scholarship opportunity, please prepare the documents listed below to be reviewed by the MFF Board of Directors at their next regularly scheduled meeting.
- Your resume.
- An essay on "why insurance interests me as a career path" within 1,200 words or less.
- Letters of recommendation:
- Insurance professionals currently involved in the industry need to provide two, one-page letters of support from someone affiliated with the insurance industry. Individuals with no industry experience need to provide two, one-page letters from business professionals who would recommend his or her participation in the program.
- Intend to complete the Davenport University Management Degree with the Risk Management Specialty emphasis.
- Intend to complete the following industry-specific programs
through Lansing Community College/Business & Community Institute
and Davenport University:
- Insurance FUNdamentals: This 45-hour course is designed to provide those interested in a career in insurance, or already working in the field, with a general knowledge of basic insurance coverage and Michigan specific laws. Upon successful completion, participants will receive three DU credits for this certificate program.
- Customer Service for Insurance Professionals: This 12-hour class will enhance the skills necessary to provide excellent customer service within the insurance industry. Upon successful completion, participants will receive a certificate of completion.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 average over three semesters and have a desire to work in a Michigan independent insurance agency.
- Have available time to meet the program enrollment recommendation to complete the program - 6 credits per semester.
To apply, please submit the requested application documents to the MFF Board via Kristin Angel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "MFF 2013 Scholarship Application" as your email header.
The Business & Community Institute
Phone: (517) 483-1857
Additional contact information »